Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Letter From The Other Side from Cynthia


Dear Del,
I suppose you have been wondering why there hasn’t been any letters land into your mail box for the last week or so. It isn’t because I haven’t been trying to write to you it is the fault of my temperamental office equipment.

We bought a new computer and our printer which has always been inclined to sniff at any changes made to its connections or neighbouring machines has absolutely refused to co-operate with the new member of our team.

Eventually after turning everything off, unplugging all connections, trying again and again and ruining endless pieces of paper, I unplugged the dratted machine and took it to the computer psychologist who usually deals with our household’s electronic tantrums.
After driving quite a long way to his premises I was thoroughly miffed to find a note on his door saying he was away from the office.

Teddy lugged the printer back to the car and we drove home, re-plugged it all again and wonder of wonders it worked! Evidently when it plays up again it means it is simply feeling neglected and in need of a ride in the car, a little cosseting and a change of scenery. I suppose it is a cheap way to ensure it keeps working.

As you know Teddy is very fond of gadgets, so when we were looking to buy another car a few weeks ago he was is in element. The economic downturn has resulted in some very good bargains for sale and each car sales business has extra inducements to offer the potential purchaser.

We settled on a new all wheel drive after the salesman offered a choice of a coffee machine, some other thing I can’t remember or was remotely interested in having, or an electronic games machine. You know the type with interactive games like tennis, golf, ten pin bowling etc. The mere whiff of getting his hands on one of these toys lit Teddy’s eyes like beacons and he could hardly wait to sign the papers to make it his own.

He did have to wait quite some time as we needed a couple of extras added to the vehicle such as a tow bar and a barrier to keep the dogs safer in the back. This seemed a simple request but the level of communication between the workforce and salespeople of the business had some major gaps in it which meant we waited a couple of weeks for everything to be completed and for the car and the precious Wii to arrive.

At first as we unpacked it and Teddy set it up on our television I wondered why there were instructions for the operator to strap the handpiece to his or her wrist.

It didn’t take me long to find out and why these things are being purchased all over the country for the residents of retirement villages and such.

The ever present competitive streak came to the fore while we played and I realised as Teddy flung himself into serving at tennis or batting at cricket that he was a threat to our crystal cabinets and their contents plus the large windows we have throughout the house.

At my insistence the Wii was moved to the family room television where the furniture is sturdier and more able to deal with visiting grandchildren and over enthusiastic grandfathers. As yet, the grandchildren haven’t had much of a chance to play with it as Teddy spends too much time demonstrating his skills to them. He has also bored a few friends who aren’t interested in computers almost to tears. I suspect they will have the sense to stay away for a few weeks until the novelty wears off or perhaps suggest meeting in public places away from his latest toy.

It has been quiet for the past couple of days because he played golf for such an extended time he is too stiff to move very much. This is now my chance to try out the balance and fitness disk I bought.

It dented my enthusiasm somewhat when I had to face the awful truth after my weight and height was taken and the rude thing told me in its childish computerised voice my fitness level was that of a woman ten years my senior.

I intend to get the damn thing to apologize during the next few weeks.

They are great fun and during the very hot days when we can’t possibly venture outside it is a good way to waste a couple of hours and keep us from the ever present urge to nod off on the couch.

Did I tell you he has requested a telescope for Christmas? I shall have to warn our friends and family. I told him I wasn’t buying the Hubble so at least we have established that fact.

Love from your gadget controlled

‘flower child friend’ Cynthia.

No comments: